Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Surprises of Life with Babka

When we moved here to Ashtabula, we just needed a house close to my dad’s home. He was ailing and we wanted to be of help to him and my step mom. We bought a “century house” across the road that had 1 ½ acres, and lovely fruit and black walnut trees. We knew the house needed some work, but we thought we could handle it. SOME work was an understatement to the max. After replacing the roof, heating, wiring, windows, doors ceilings, plumbing, floors, curtains, kitchen counters, and kitchen sink; then adding cooling, shower in the basement, plaster, wallpaper, paint, molding, a sink and shelves in the pantry and a dish washer in the kitchen; Oh, and heating, insulation, doors, roof, and air cleaning to the 3 bay garage (in which there are no cars or lawn equipment, but that’s another story); Oh, and putting up a fence for the 4 dogs, taking out the 21 foot above grown pool, replacing the deck and building a garden shed; my husband, Pop, declared the house done! He did not plan on his wife, me, Babka.

You see he had asked me if I wanted to change the cabinets in the kitchen. I said, “No, I’ll just paint them.” Well that was when we were just going to “flip the house” and move after my dad did not need us anymore, which he does not as he is now with my mom having game night parties in heaven. Now that he wants to stay here, maybe FOREVER! I will need more storage in the kitchen and a ½ bath in the pantry. Pop said, “WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THIS EARLIER!” To which I responded, “You didn't tell me we were staying so long.” The long and short of it is that the kitchen is a mess again and my semi-retired husband is very busy in the shop making cabinets and shelves and trim and molding. Heaven knows we do not want Pop to pop from boredom with so much time on his hands.

I’ll let you know how it is going.

I cover you all with the Blood of the Lamb

No comments: