Thursday, May 17, 2007

Now go to Sleep.

Who ever coined the phrase “The Golden Years” must have been some jerk trying to scam some middle age people into buying a time share someplace. The years should be called something like the gray years, or the hospital green years, the black and blue years (falling down while on blood thinners), or maybe the dimly lit years. So, now that I, Babka, (Polish Grandma) have reached those years when you hear a lot of… “When you get to be your age…” …. Umm… where was I…. OH! So, here is part of my story.

The ailment list is a bit long, but thank God it’s not as long as some. Yes, other’s lists are longer. And, yes, I know I am not alone, but anyone who goes through this $#!+ will tell you it is no fun. Along with living with my X-XY (think of genes) and living with my present XY, and teaching middle school, other things have caused stress in life. Low blood sugar, allergies (dust, mold, pollen, and 5 different antibiotics), bursitis, arthritis, back deformity, mini-strokes, 4 surgeries that I remember, and the most fun fibromyalgia, to name a few. Many of you most likely can top that list, but here is the deal.

A new dimension has been added to my life. I was feeling foggier than usual. Is that possible? Anyway, I got over being angry at my MD long enough to get a referral to the local neurologist just to see if any brain was left up there (or where ever I keep my brain) He ran 4,329.5 tests or there abouts. Then he said he wanted to have me do two things: 1. Go to my internist to have more blood tests (who happens to be the refering MD) and 2. Get a sleep disorder test.

Those of you who have been tortured with a sleep study will understand my lamentations. They have you come in a 9:00 pm. After spending 45 min sticking electrodes and stuff all over your head, hand, legs, chest, back and abdomen, they stick you in bed and say go to sleep. Aye Right! First of all, it has taken the technician so long to put that stuff on you that you have to go to the bathroom which is not in your room but down the hall. Secondly, you can barely move for all the wires. And third, you are a stranger in a strange place, AND people are watching everything about you.

In the morning the technician actually complained that it took all night for me to get into dream sleep so they could get an accurate reading. Go figure, it took me awhile to get into a sound sleep. I wonder why. Oh! And the whole time we talked the difference between Christianity and religion. The technician even tried to convince me that I was being lead astray by saying the rosary.

Guess what? I have to go back and do it all over again with an air thing on my nose because I was tired in the morning.

I came home and went to bed. Good for the students of Ashtabula County that Mrs. K was not their sub today. Ain't life a ball of joy?

God Bless

1 comment:

R. Glipglorp said...

So, was the tech saying that the rosary was leading you astray... by keeping you from going to asleep? :)